Some reasons why I want to quit drinking?
- Alcohol is linked to cancer – my mum and aunt died of breast cancer; my grandma survived breast cancer; and my Grandpa died of brain cancer.
- I’m grossly overweight by three or four stone and never have enough energy (week by week) to go anything about it.
- When I’m hungover I crave junk food and eat more than usual.
- I can make lose hours of memory, waking up filled with pangs of guilt and shame but not knowing why.
- Alcohol causes mood swings, alters behaviour and weakens inhibitions – this has caused many dramas in my life and affected my relationships with family and friends.
- Booze is a powerful substance and like anything with such force, should be respected. I don’t think many people in my culture really get that about alcohol.
- Now that I’m in my early thirties, I want to start a family and have a successful career as a writer and eventually a primary school teacher. These things will never occur while I keep letting my drinking hold me back and leave me as a lethargic, lazy mess.